Shigatse, the second-largest city of Tibet, is a famous cultural city with a history of more than 500 years and a granary of Tibet. Located above 3,800 meters above sea level, Shigatse was the place Bainqen Erdini Lamas at various times in history were authenticated. Shigatse gradually became a political and religious centre in southern Tibet. To the south of Shigatse stands the world-renowned Qomolangma (Everest). Outside the city are the Sakya Palkor and Salu Monasteries.
About the Tashilhunpo Monastery
Trashilhunpo Monastery was built in 1447 at the foot of Nyima Mountain on the outskirts of Shigatse, under the supervision of the First Dalai Lama, Gedun Zhuiba, one of the disciples of Tsong Khapa. It was expanded by the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Panchen Lamas, and has become the seat of the reincarnation lineage of the Panchen Lamas. The monastery houses the 22.4-meter-high gilded statue of Avalokiteshvara Buddha, the tallest of its kind in the world. This image of the Buddha shows him as being vividly kind and generous.
About the Rongphu Monastery
Sitting atop Rongphu Qinzhogma Hill at the foot of Mt. Qomolangma, the monastery is 90 kilometres away from the Tingri County seat and is 5,800 meters above sea level, the highest of its kind in the world. It holds a three-day sorcerer gathering starting on the 15th day of the fourth month and the Ghost-Beating Festival starting on the 29th day of the 11th month of the Tibetan calendar.